Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Viola Virtuoso

My younger daughter auditioned for the Honors Orchestra at school and earned herself a spot!  I am so excited for her!!  The Honors Orchestra is comprised of 4th and 5th graders from the (ten) elementary schools in our district and students were selected for their "skill and musicality".

I am a little bit surprised that she earned herself a spot.  She practiced the audition piece only a couple of times.   I had no idea how the song was supposed to sound so I didn't know if she was playing it well or not.  She's not keen on practicing so part of me was hoping that she wouldn't get selected for the Honors Orchestra.  Part of me wanted her to realize that if you want something, you have to work for it and not just show up at the audition and expect to earn a seat.  So far, her approach seems to be working for her and I come out of this sounding like the adult character in the Charlie Brown cartoons:  blah blah blahpty blah blah blah.

But I think she is going to have to practice to keep pace with the orchestra.

No comments: