Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween: The Holiday That Keeps On Going (and going . . .)

By the time Halloween rolls around, I am in full Christmas-planning mode.  I'm working on my budget, cards, menus, gift ideas.  I have no interest in giving any time, money or attention to Halloween.

Is it my imagination, or is this holiday growing in popularity every year?

What ever happened to a $5 costume and flimsy face mask?  Is there anyone out there who just goes into their closet and pulls together a costume without spending a dime?  My four older children all wanted new costumes this year, at a cost of approximately $35/each, plus shipping.

Um, NO!  I told them that every dollar that is spent on Halloween is one dollar less spent on Christmas.

Our Halloween calendar looks something like this:
Tuesday:  youth group Halloween party
Thursday:  Halloween parade in town
Friday:  Halloween parade & party at school (elementary)
Friday:  Halloween dance party at school (middle school)
Friday night:  Halloween party
Sunday afternoon:  Halloween party
Sunday evening:  Trick or Treating (also known as Halloweening to those of us from Pittsburgh)

Really?  That's a LOT of dress up and a LOT LOT LOT of candy.  (Have I mentioned previously that we get around 180 Trick-or-Treaters?)  Anyway, I thought that at least the baby could wear a hand-me-down and figured that my oldest wouldn't need a costume now that she is in middle school.

Wrong.  As it turns out, my daughter's youth group was having a Halloween/dress-up party and besides that, the middle school students were supposed to wear their costumes to school.  So much for saving a few bucks!  I told her that I'm not investing any more money in Halloween costumes so she borrowed one from our neighbors.












My younger daughter found a costume half-off so my husband bought it for her.










My oldest son was desperate to be Boba Fett so we actually paid full price for his costume (although he paid half with his chore money).










We borrowed an Obi Wan costume for my younger son and I did indeed use a hand-me-down for the baby.  (I realize this picture is of a Clone Trooper and not Obi Wan.  We had a costume crisis.  I accidentally sent both the Boba Fett and Obi Wan costumes to school with my older son in the morning.  Then when it was time for my younger son to go to afternoon kindergarten there was panic and we looked for the costume.  I quickly realized my error so I sent him over to our neighbors -- same ones my daughter borrowed from -- to get a last minute costume for the school parade.)  The Obi Wan costume will make its appearance tonight for Trick-or-Treat.










October has been a VERY busy month for us and I am REALLY looking forward to a slower November so that I can catch my breath before the Christmas craziness takes over.

No comments: