Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Green Smoothies












A couple of weeks ago I started drinking green smoothies.

For those of you who don't know what I mean by green smoothie, you can find out more here, at the Green Smoothie Queen website.

There are lots of reasons that I decided to try green smoothies (which I won't bother to write about) but my main motivation was to improve my overall health by eating (or drinking, as the case may be) more fruits and vegetables. 

I started drinking my smoothie each day at lunchtime, in place of my meal.  I had read about the benefits of eating raw foods and couldn't wait for miraculous results.  Every morning I would get up and look in the mirror and expect my wrinkles to be diminished.  (They are still present.)  I would then get on the scale and expect to be down 5 pounds from the previous day.  (I wasn't.)  I kept thinking, surely, any day now, I can toss my acne medicine and revel in my amazingly clear skin.  (I'm still using Proactive.)  When I couldn't really see any physical changes, I finally concluded that for me, the main benefit was just knowing that I was doing something really healthy for my body and a great deal of peace of mind comes along with that.

So about 10 days into my green smoothie experiment (during which time I was eating fairly healthy foods for my other meals/snacks), during a moment of weakness, I opened a jar of Jif and a bag of chocolate chips and ate a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Then I went to Target.

I started to feel awful.  Like the shelves at Target were spinning past me.  Headache.  Dizzy.  Stomach in knots.  Seriously?  Just from eating a few spoonfuls of crappy food?  Apparently so.

Ok, so maybe there are some benefits to this lifestyle.

And then I started to notice that I'd forget to have my Cherry Coke Zero (which I treat myself to each afternoon.)  It would be dinnertime and I'd realize that I forgot to drink it.  (Prior to that I would hit the fridge without fail by 2PM.)  And I noticed that I'd make a pot of coffee in the morning but only drink one cup and then not really want the rest.  And then I grabbed a Junior Cheeseburger from Wendy's a few days later and threw it away after 2 bites because it tasted weird.  And last night I ate a Jello pudding and it tasted all chemical-ly and gross.

So I'm now on Day 19 of my Green Smoothie Experiment and I think it's safe to say that it is now a habit.  I really do like them and look forward to them.  (I must confess, I made one that was REALLY terrible and I had to pour it down the drain.  But I'm learning what to use and in which quantities so most of my smoothies are yummy.)

And the baby likes them too!

No comments: