Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Academic Competition

Ok, so I don't have any pics of the actual event. I'll post a random pic of my lovely daughter instead.



I am writing to tell you about our (ours as in her first time participating and my first time as a parent/spectator) first academic competition. My daughter participated in the Reading Olympics last night. It was really exciting! (Ok, it was really a lot of sitting around and people speaking in hushed tones, but it was exciting for me!)

My daughter signed-up for this back in the fall and there were about 40 books that she could choose to read. Each student had to read at least one book you could choose to read as many as you wanted. We bought some of the books in paperback and even downloaded one to her iPod so that she could listen to it in the car. I was really nervous about her participation because she wasn't really interested in reading the books but seemed to only because I nagged her.

Imagine my surprise last night when she was participating in answering questions about books that I didn't even know she had read!

Each team received a ribbon for participation. Although scores are kept and each round is a win/lose, the emphasis is on fostering a love for reading, not on scores.

She said she'd like to do it again next year so that's a win in my book!

No comments: