Sunday, September 6, 2009

All You Need Is Love

When we went upstairs the other night to go to bed, this is what we saw:



My oldest daughter and my 4 year old son had (for some unknown reason) decided to move from their beds into our bed. So very sweet how he is cuddled up to her.

He starts preschool on Tuesday and I think it will be very good for him. He's definitely a follower and when he is without his siblings (which rarely is the case but will be the norm when he is at preschool) he is like a ship without a compass. He is not quite sure what he thinks or how to act without them as role models. As my husband commented yesterday, "This kid has not spoken an original sentence all day." Most of what he says is just a repeat of something one of his older siblings has already said.

He had Sneak A Peek at preschool a few days ago. It did not go well. He didn't want to go but I forced him. Once we got there, it took some coaxing to get him into the classroom. He kept saying, "I want to leave now. I want to go home. Let's go." He hid behind me when his teacher (who got down on her knees and tried to engage him) was speaking to him. He didn't want to play with any of the toys (cars, trucks, play-do, crayons, etc.) He just wanted to Go Home. I was a little bit surprised because he's been going to the school nearly every day for the past 2 years when I would take his older brother. He knows the layout of the school and is familiar with the classrooms and even knows a few kids in his class.

I cleared-out his cubby and took home the papers that were in the cubby. Included was a brightly colored plastic bag which my son wanted to carry. As we were walking to the car, he asked if he could peek into the bag. I knew the bag contained a coupon book, the first fundraiser of the school year. So he opened the bag and pulled it out and asked me what it was (so I told him.) And then he exclaimed, "Oh wow! My VERY OWN coupon book! My teacher gave me a coupon book!" Flipping through the book kept him entertained on the ride home. "Mom, look! A coupon for McDonald's! Wow! A golf coupon! And bowling! What is this one for mom?" And on and on.

When my husband came home from work that day, my son ran to him, waving the coupon book and couldn't wait to tell his dad all about it.

So the only positive experience about Sneak A Peek was a coupon book. Normally I don't buy the book because I find that I just don't use the coupons enough to warrant the $25 price tag. But my husband thinks we should take advantage of his enthusiasm and use it as a lesson on saving money and clipping coupons.

So I guess we're buying the book. Because I'm not sure I could take away his Very Own Coupon Book without squelching the first glimmer of individuality that will (hopefully) emerge from him as he begins school.

2 comments:

suzanneu said...

That will be money well-spent!

Jude Law said...

Nice post. Good info. I would recommend to utilize the coupons for various products from www.deals365.us which saved me a lot of money.