Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Update

I had an appointment on Monday. I was on the fetal monitor for 30 minutes. The baby seems happy. However, since I am getting more overdue everyday, the midwife suggested either inducing at the hospital or breaking my water at the birth center.

I really do want a birth center birth. A waterbirth. I want my girls to be able to be there and witness their sibling coming into the world. So I said that I'd go for breaking the water, that way we could make sure we did it at a time when no one else was laboring and that would ensure that I'd get the waterbirth suite.

Except that she couldn't break my water. The baby is too high. The cord or the baby's arm might be in the way. So she sent me home and told me to take castor oil the next day and to come back to the birth center the following day (Wednesday).

So I got up early yesterday and drank my 2 ounces of castor oil. Tastes like cooking oil but really thick. I got it down just fine. But my stomach didn't like it. I vomited 3 times. And it still made me get diarrhea, but no contractions. (The thinking is that when your bowels contract, it encourages the uterus to also contract, thus putting you into labor.)

The plan was for me to go back to the birth center today and they'd try to break my water, if they could. (Not sure about the plan if they couldn't.) EXCEPT that they called to reschedule my appointment because there are a number of women in labor so they are not going to break my water when they don't even have a room for me to labor in. So now I am going to have an appointment Thursday at 2pm. I have no idea what to expect. Induction? Breaking of the water? Wait and see? I really don't know. I do know that they will induce by Friday morning if I am still pregnant at that time.

It is so hard for me to wrap my brain around this. It is not going according to plan. I've never even set foot in the hospital I might deliver in, never met the doctors. I've never birthed in ANY hospital so I feel like I have NO IDEA what to expect, except for what I've seen on tv. I am freaking out. Not to mention that my in-laws arrived on Sunday to care for the older kids while I care for the baby. Except right now there is no baby. And every day that goes by is a day closer to them going home and leaving me to care for 5 kids by myself.

And if one more random stranger gives me some insane advice about how to get this baby out, I just might punch them in the nose.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

thinking peaceful thoughts for you :)
kind regards,
melissa