Sunday, May 17, 2009

Nesting

Definition of Nesting: Nesting is the term used to refer to an expectant mother’s instinct which gives her a surge of energy which prompts her to clean and do various chores around her home. Nesting usually arises as the mother nears her due date.

The definition does not mention the expectant father. But I swear my husband is nesting. He does this every time we add a child to our family. It usually starts out some months before the due date and involves scrutinizing the monthly budget and reorganizing finances. But as the due date approaches, the nesting becomes physical; he finds some household project that absolutely, positively, must get accomplished just prior to or just after the baby's birth.

When our first child was born in 1999, I didn't know any better, I don't even remember him nesting. But hey, that was 10 years ago and I was blind with post-partum exhaustion. But by the time our second child came along in 2001, I started to wonder why he was taking on a huge project at the same time we were trying to add another human being to our household. But I must say that he is highly motivated AND productive and I got new kitchen cabinets and counters to commemorate the birth of our second child.

When our third came along in 2003, my husband redid the kitchen floor, thus completing the kitchen renovation.

Then in 2005, as the birth of our fourth child approached, he put in a beautiful flagstone patio. I was resentful at the time -- he spent hours upon hours out there measuring, leveling, cutting stone, etc. while I was trying to care for 4 small children. But I must say that he did a stellar job and I have been enjoying the patio ever since.

Well my husband is nesting again because his latest project is building a treehouse for the kids. They all went to Home Depot yesterday to get the lumber. They ended up with so much wood that I had to drive to Home Depot to pick up the kids because he could not fit all the kids AND all the wood in the car. And he still needs to go back to buy more wood! He started working on the treehouse last night and I am discovering that it is a Kid Magnet as well as a Dad Magnet. The neighborhood kids already love to come to our yard for the trampoline and once there is also a treehouse here . . . well the Langan yard is going to be THE PLACE to play. But it's also a Dad Magnet. The dads in the neighborhood have noticed all the construction and have come over to inspect and help.

I am loving the treehouse idea except for the fact that my flowers beneath the tree are getting trampled-to-death in the building process and I'm not sure they will survive long-term once the treehouse blocks the sunlight. On the other hand, I've already given over 2/3 of my yard to the trampoline so does it really matter if the tree house ruins some of my flowers? (It might matter, I just haven't decided yet. I think it's best to make this judgment when I am not pregnant/hormonal.)

If the treehouse is complete before the baby arrives then I will post pics. If not, I may not get to but will see if my Guest Blogger is interested in also being the Guest Photographer.

1 comment:

S. Braun said...

OMG!! My kids will love it, they have been asking for one for a long time (and decided on the skateboard ramp as their first priority).