Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No Training Wheels

My 5 year old son just learned how to ride his bike without training wheels! My husband has been saying for a while that he thinks our son is ready to try without the stabilizers, as he calls them (it's an Irish thing.) But with so much cold weather and snow, it seemed like there was no point in trying.

However, with a weekend of warm, beautiful weather, they were both inspired so my husband removed the stabilizers/training wheels and my son started pedaling and didn't stop! He did it all by himself on the first try! He was SO PROUD of his accomplishment. He stayed on that bike for the next 2 hours and has been chomping at the bit to get some ride time each day.

My husband took him for a special treat: my son rode his bike to Seven-Eleven and my husband bought him some candy. He fell off his bike on the way and cut his elbow, but I don't think he cared. I think he is proud of his battle scar because it means he's a big kid riding a big-kid bike.

1 comment:

S. Braun said...

When Tristan learned to ride his bike, he did it within three minutes. When they're ready, they're ready!!