Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Visit to the ER

My husband called me on his way home from work this evening. He said he didn't feel well. Said his face felt like it was on fire and said his ears were itchy. I asked him if he had eaten anything and he replied that he had eaten a macadamia nut. "One nut?" I asked. Then he said no, it was 3 nuts. I asked, "Where are you?" and he said, "Driving." At this point I was starting to get worried. We had already established this (driving) early in the conversation. My husband would normally tell me that he was at such and such intersection or that he was passing xyz. I was starting to think that is brain was being adversely affected for him ton give me a generic answer like "driving".

Then he told me that he had already pulled over twice to puke and that he felt even worse and wasn't sure what he should do. I was getting even more worried. My husband is usually someone who is cool, calm and collected. He is someone who thinks and acts quickly. Afterall, this man single-handedly delivered our 3rd child at home when my labor progressed at warp-speed. He is not someone to say things like, "I don't know what to do." He always knows what to do. I told him that I thought he should go to the ER on his way home and asked why he didn't stop at the hospital that is close to work. He said he didn't think to go to that hospital. By this time I was worried that he would pass out before he even got to the ER. We hung up and I said a quick prayer for his safety. Apparently he made it there in tact because he called about 20 minutes later to say they were getting a room ready for him and said he would be getting meds ASAP. He was talking really slowly and sounded out of it. So we hung up and I got dinner for the kids (who thought it was really cool that Daddy was in the hospital). I kept waiting to hear from him and didn't so called him back about an hour later. I didn't even know it was him when he answered his cell phone. His speech was slurred and he sounded distant. He said they gave him an IV (of 3 different drugs) but couldn't discharge him because his blood pressure was too high (as a result of the drugs). He said he is definitely allergic to macadamia nuts because he had a bright red rash over his whole body.

Shortly thereafter, my next door neighbors came over to watch the kids so I could go to the ER to check on him and to try and figure out whether he was going to be coming home at all. When I arrived he was sitting on a gurney in a hallway and he looked really pale and had a stunned look to him. We waited around for about 30 minutes and then they finally discharged him. They gave him an Rx for an epi pen and told him to stay away from ALL nuts, but especially macadamia nuts. Then they told him to visit an allergist ASAP.

My husband had it in his head that he was going to drive home but once he started walking (feeling even more light-headed) he decided against it and let me drive (leaving his car at the hospital.) When we arrived home, my 3 year old said, "Dad. What is wrong with you? You look like you are green."

It is so strange that he had this reaction to macadamia nuts! We were in Hawaii a few years ago and he ate macadamia nuts, macadamia cake, macadamia ice cream, everything macadamia and was fine! We had friends who visited Hawaii last January and they brought us back some macadamia nuts and he ate those too! He has never had a reaction to massive doses of macadamia nuts but apparently 3 nuts put him over the edge? The ER nurse told us that you can develop an allergy to anything at anytime. Great. One more thing to worry about!

My husband is now asleep and all is well. He is planning on going into work tomorrow but I will try to convince him to take it easy and go in late. He's had a tough week: stomach virus on Saturday & Sunday; a chipped tooth/filling that needed fixed Monday. And now a visit to the ER on Tuesday. Let's hope Wednesday is a better day!

1 comment:

Diane said...

We all hope he feels better!!