Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Patient and Patience

Well the patient is doing just fine today. He went back to work and does not appear to have any lingering side effects from the reaction or the medicine.

We are going to have another patient at the end of the month. Our 5 year old son will have surgery on Jan 28 to have tubes put in his ears (for the 4th time) and he will also have his adenoids removed. We've done the tubes MANY times (this will be our 7th tube surgery overall, 2 of my other kids also have tubes) but we've never done the adenoids before. The tube surgery is fairly quick and simple as is the recovery. However, the adenoid recovery seems a bit more involved. The doctor said it will take 7-10 days for a full recovery. Apparently the neck begins to spasm as the tissue heals so we'll have to take it one day at a time. I'll keep you posted.

Now for the patience part. I need to take 2 graduate level classes by June 30, 2010 in order to keep my teaching certification active. No problem, right? I figured I'd wait until the boys were in school and then I'd take the classes so that I could have some quiet time to get the classwork completed. Except that once that happens, I will also have an infant to take care of and then there won't be ANY peace and quiet in the house! I just don't think I would be able to take classes AND take care of 4 children AND take care of an infant. Therefore I will be taking the classes in February and March. That's right. 2 classes in 2 months. This means that I will be in class for 3 our of 4 weekends in February and one weekend in March. When I say weekend I mean I will be in class for 5 hours on Friday night; 9 hours on Saturday; 9 hours on Sunday. I know; it will be torture. I am not used to sitting for so long! Plus, being pregnant I am sure my tailbone will be sore and my feet will swell but what choice do I have? So I will need lots of patience as I endure this mountain of work that is looming on the horizon.

The other patience part is that I am losing my patience with the bat situation. We had ANOTHER bat between Christmas and New Year's! It was a relatively warm day, which I guess can cause them to wake from their hibernation once it gets dark. It came swooping down the back steps and into the kitchen which caused my mother and younger daughter to run through the house screaming. It then settled on the dining room and decided to fly around in there for a while. We usually keep an old badminton racket hanging in the hall for just such an occasion. (The racket was actually hanging there when we moved in, left behind by the previous owner for the same reason.) However, I had put the racket away and hung Christmas decorations in its place. So it took some time to locate the racket (who would have thought we'd have a bat in December???) We all cowered under blankets on the couch until my husband took care of the situation. Our bat exclusion should be complete in March or April (meaning the bat guy will come back and seal up any remaining holes and leave a check valve where the bats can crawl out but not get back in again) and then HOPEFULLY we will not have any more bats.

2 comments:

S. Braun said...

Boy, I can't wait to talk to you tomorrow!

Melissa said...

Oh not another bat! Good luck!