Friday, December 19, 2008

Emma Joy

Emma should be named Emma Joy instead of Emma Jean. She brings us so much joy. It's been a long time since I've had a puppy, and the first time that my kids have had the chance to live with a puppy. It is sooo much fun (not the pooping in the house part, but pretty much everything else.)

Emma got her first official haircut the other day. She looks adorable. If only I had a camera I could share a picture with you! (We did order one online and hopefully it will arrive before Christmas.)

Emma seems to have a special bond with my 5 year old son. He really, really loves her. He takes time out of his day, at least 5 or 6 times a day, to go over to her and pet her, cuddle her, hug her, love her. He also includes her in his play; she is a sheep or a horse or a cow, (or a dog), depending on what he is pretending. He uses her leash as a lasso and she LOVES that. They play tug of war and fetch and I can tell she really loves him too because when he was sick a few weeks ago, I found them asleep on the couch and she was laying ON TOP OF HIM. Like she had to get as close as she could to make sure he was ok. And when I check on the kids before going to bed, I will sometimes find Emma cuddled next to him in his bed. It is so sweet that they love each other so much.

We had a day early in the week where it was about 64 degrees outside. (Of course it snowed the next day!) But I was so thrilled by the warm weather that I decided to take the kids to the park. (I'm pretty sure its the first time in 9 years of parenting that I took the kids to the park in December.) We took Emma with us. We had the park to ourselves so I let Emma off her leash and she was a CRAZY DOG!!! She chased the kids around and ran up on the play equipment with them. When they climbed the Very Tall Slide, she kept trying to run UP the slide to meet them at the top. She would get about half way up and then slide down backwards. After about 10 failed attempts, she decided to scale the steps of the slide, which she did quite successfully, and then she slid down the slide!!! The kids thought this was HILARIOUS. I think they had more fun watching Emma than they did playing.

She is a very special little dog and we are looking forward to her first Christmas with her. We bought her a stuffed squirrel that squeaks. It looks real, so I think it is going to be a hit as she is always chasing squirrels out of our yard.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Our dog LOVVEEEESSSS to chase squirrels and chipmunks in our yard to