Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Very Happy Voter

I heard there was a long line. So I waited a while. And the line got longer. So I decided to make a day of it: packed a picnic lunch, blanket, drinks, books, and we headed out to vote.

The line was out the door, down the sidewalk and to the curb and threatening to go around the corner.


So we waited. And snacked. And chatted with people in line. It really wasn't too bad. They brought out treats and toys for the kids. And sandwiches for the grown-ups. People were stopping by handing out homemade sandwiches and a woman pulled out her laptop and started playing a movie for the kids. It was kind of fun, festive, like being part of something. But then it started raining and then the fun was OVER. With no umbrella, lots of wind and 4 kids in tow, I was no longer enjoying my voting experience and neither were the kiddos.

You might be wondering why I took the kids with me. The main reason is because my husband is not a citizen (he has a Green Card) and therefore he cannot vote. So I feel that it is my duty to take the kids with me when I vote so they can experience it and hopefully internalize the importance of voting, since not everyone is afforded the privilege of voting.

Anyway, back to the story. As the kids were huddling under the blanket to keep dry,
our local councilwoman came to me and asked if I would like to move up in line, since I had 4 kids with me.

YES!!!!

I really just wanted to get inside where it was dry. But once we got inside she kept going and took me right to the front of the line! Which I felt badly about. I wasn't looking to cut in line, only to get dry. But I decided to graciously accept, knowing that most of the time, having 4 kids slows me down and for once, having 4 kids was actually saving me time.

So when it was all said and done, I waited for 1.5 hours to vote. But would have waited for at least 3 if I had not been moved to the front of the line.

When we walked out of there, my oldest declared that it "wasn't worth it" because we "waited in line forever to be in there for like 2 minutes." I was trying to tell her that it wasn't about the amount of time but about the privilege of voting. Not sure she "gets it" but hopefully she will someday.


I'm happy that I voted.

1 comment:

S. Braun said...

Bob went around 2:00 and was back 10 minutes later! Did you go at a real busy time?