Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The OTHER Drama Queen

Now I know where she gets it. Because she doesn't get it from me, at least that is what I like to think.

She gets it from her grandmother. My mother.

She called yesterday and it went something like this:

"Rachel. There is something I need to talk to you about and it's not very pleasant. But it needs to be addressed so I am just going to tell you."

My heart was pounding and I was expecting her to say that my dad had cancer; or that their dog (who used to be my dog) had died; or that I was switched at birth and my real family has come forward because they need one of my kidneys. My mouth was dry and the room started to spin and it felt like forever before she spoke again.

And she started to tell me about someone she knows who has bats. Yes, bats. All this drama over BATS. Now don't get me wrong, I get pretty hysterical when there are bats flying around my head and my house. But since she set-up the conversation in such a way that I thought death was imminent for someone in our family . . . well bats are nothing in comparison. I had a hard time listening for a minute, still thinking she was going to give me some fatal news; but she didn't. She went on to tell me that this person she knows also has bedbugs, apparently bedbugs are common when there are bats living in the house. I assured her that we do NOT have bedbugs and that the bat situation is being remediated.

Drama.

2 comments:

Silja said...

Although, no offense, her opening line sounds JUST LIKE YOU!! However, you are definitely not a drama queen and would certainly not have used those words for that topic...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... this cracks me up! I can just HEAR your mom saying that... and I know exactly what it would sound like too. That brought back so many memories of childhood! What I wouldn't give to be little one more time sleeping out on your back porch, playing on the gym set, reading books, baking cakes, and having sooo much fun! Jen