Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dog Whisperer

I think my 5 year old son might be a dog whisperer.

Our 13 year old Golden Retriever, who is deaf, has been yipping constantly and it is driving me crazy. Today I asked her, "Lady! Why are you barking all the time?" (As if she could hear me or answer me.) My son overheard me and matter-of-factly said, "She just wants her family to love her again." I said, "What are you talking about? What do you mean love her again? We've always loved her." He said, "Well, she just thinks her family doesn't love her anymore." To which I replied, "What do you mean? Why?" And he said, "Because you play with Emma all the time, Lady thinks you don't love her anymore."

Oh my. He doesn't understand that Emma demands more of my time than Lady. But maybe Lady doesnt' understand either. So I laid on the floor next to her and hugged her and kissed her and she kept licking my ear and snuggling into me. And she hasn't yipped since.

I love how kids pay attention to everything while we adults usually pay attention only to the things we can see and hear.

No comments: