Friday, April 11, 2008

Blood, Sweat & Tears

There were no tears involved, but it wouldn't sound right if said Blood & Sweat.

I had to have blood drawn for a routine blood test. I made my appointment and went to the lab with the boys. The phlebotomist started prepping me for the procedure and my boys were very curious. Once she pulled out the needle though, my four year old covered his eyes and kept warning his younger brother to look away. It was very cute. (My younger one loved every minute of it, not sqeamish at all.)

The phlebotomist was not particularly gentle (and I have a bruise and lump to prove it). So I had my eyes closed and was in my "quiet place" to take my mind off the needle while she was drawing my blood. After a couple minuets she asked me if I was going to pass out or if I was sqeamish. I said no. She said, "Good, then hold this." And handed me a vile of blood! I took the vile but my hands were sweaty from working outside all morning and from nervous about her level of expertise so I said, "I'm just going to set that here" and I set it down on the table next to me. I closed my eyes again to go back to my quiet place. Meanwhile, she was yanking on my vein trying to fit a second vile on the needle. Ouch. The next thing I know, she says "Here" and thrusts 2 viles at me; one full and one empty. I am not sure what to do . . . does she want me to hold the full one or the empty one? I've never done this before so I don't know . . . So I reach out my hand and she drops the full one into my hand but it slides out of my sweaty palm and onto the floor. (THANK GOD it did not break because I really didn't think I could take much more yanking on my vein.) At this point, SHE gets aggravated with ME and says, "Oh nevermind, I'll just do it myself!" And I was thinking Uh, YEAH. That is your job. Since when is the patient supposed to handle their own blood?!

I have had lots of blood tests in my life but never once have I been asked to assist in any way. Maybe this is a new concept in phlebotomy where they try to get the patients actively involved in their own care?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious and frightening at the same time!

--auntie