Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We All Scream for Ice Cream


We love ice cream. Especially me. My favorite job EVER was working at Baskin-Robbins. This was a dream-come-true for me because my favorite place to go when I was a kid was . . . Baskin-Robbins! I LOVED their uniforms as much as their ice cream. It was the 70s and the uniforms were hot-pink, orange and brown striped. Anyway, when I started working there in high school (it was the 80s and by this time their uniforms were NOT cool) I liked ice cream. But by the time I went off to college, I was addicted to ice cream. Literally. If I did not have ice cream daily, I would have dreams about it. Anyway, my ice cream obsession continues, 20+ years later.


When Ben & Jerry's developed their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was a Special Edition flavor. So I had a pint every day for about a week. One day I even ate 2 pints. And then it was gone. They stopped making it. So I wrote a letter to the company asking, no begging them to make it a regular flavor (in the days before email, I actually had to use my typewriter to write the letter!) So you get the picture: I LOVE ice cream.


So this week's Best Of is dedicated to ice cream.

Best Store Brand:
Hands-down, the award goes to Ben & Jerry's. We love Cookie Dough, Dublin Mudslide and Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. Their special edition flavors rock too. We hardly ever let the kids eat B&J though, it is way too expensive. They are easily fooled by some vanilla ice cream with Oreos on top. They don't care what brand they are eating, as long as it looks and tastes like ice cream.

Best Mix-ins:
Dairy Queen. I do like Cold Stone but it is too expensive and the ice cream is too thick. DQ is basic, vanilla, and kids like it. Throw in some M&Ms or Oreos and they are thrilled. (My favorite is a Kit Kat Blizzard with peanut butter. Yum.)

Best Value:
Wendy's Frosty. A Junior is only 69 cents. I bring my own M&Ms for the kids to mix in. And if you buy their coupon value pack, you get 10 Junior Frostys for $1. Can't beat that.

Best EVER:
Handel's. This ice cream is the BEST I have EVER tasted. Truly. If you have never eaten Handel's ice cream then you MUST get to one ASAP. You will be forever changed. I mean it. Their coconut cream pie flavor is amazing! Every flavor is amazing, actually. And they have really cute kid sundaes that have worms and nerds on them. My secret: I buy 2 sundaes and 2 bowls of ice cream. Then I divide up the worms and nerds so that it looks like I bought 4 sundaes. I save money, the kids have no clue and everyone is happy. Lucky for me, Handel's is a 20 minute drive or else I would be there weekly. Or daily. Or twice daily.

(NOTE: the ice cream pics were taken in Ireland. The kids are eating a cone called a "99". It is really smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream with a yummy chocolate Flake pushed into the ice cream. It is called a 99 because it used to cost 99 pence. But now, with the exchange rate, each one costs about 2.50 Euros, which is nearly $4 for a cone!)

No comments: