Tuesday, November 20, 2007

That Stinks!

My kids are always asking me where the water goes when we flush the toilet . . . so I thought I'd take them to a sewage treatment plant so that they could see first-hand. We brought 6 friends along as poop is extremely interesting to the 8 & under crowd.

Of course the highlight of the trip was checking out the room where all the waste (I won't elaborate) comes into the plant. It was great fun to hold our noses and shout about smelly poop. Aside from that, we learned how gravity helps in wastewater treatment and about the microscopic bugs that eat the sludge. We got to see chlorine being added and then removed from the water and got to watch the clean water run back into the stream. At the end of the tour we got to go into the lab and see how they test samples of water and sludge and got to see a cool way of stirring samples using magnets instead of spoons. A fun time was had by all.

No comments: