Friday, November 16, 2007

Crazy Day

My day started this morning at around 5:10am when my 2 year old climbed into our bed and proceeded to cough all over me. Every time I fell asleep he would begin to cough so I finally got up and went to the gym for 45 minutes of cardio. I arrived home around 7am. My oldest daughter informed me that her 4 year old brother wet the bed. My amazing husband had stripped the bed and put the sheets in the washer and gave both of the boys a shower. He got ALL the kids dressed, teeth brushed, hair brushed and fed them breakfast. (It takes me 1.5 hours to do this on a normal day!) I jumped into the shower and then raced out the door with all 4 kids at 7:25am because we had a doctor's appointment for my 8 year old at 7:45am.

The doctor checked my daughter's ears (she had tubes inserted about 2 years ago) and reported that 1 tube was still in tact and that the other ear had a perforated ear drum from when the tube fell out months ago. The perforation has not healed since our last visit in August. He told us to come back in 4 months and if it is not healed, he will surgically repair it and also remove the tube if it has not grown out of her ear. (Leaving the tube in at her age would risk the perforation becoming permanent.) We have literally had hundreds of ear infections in our house over the last 8.5 years. 3 of my 4 children have tubes and two of them have had multiple sets of tubes. We have been through 6 ear surgeries to insert tubes and I find it ironic that we may have to go through another surgery to remove tubes!

Once we got to the car I called our pediatrician because my 4 year old has been complaining of ear pain for 2 days. I scheduled an appointment and then called his preschool to say he would be absent. Then I called my neighbor to say I couldn't carpool and that we would not be at the bus stop because we were longer than expected at the doctor. Next I dropped the girls off at school and then drove to Starbucks where I met a friend for a quick coffee.

We left Starbucks, drove to the pediatrician's office and found out that my son does NOT have an ear infection! Yipee! This is a first! Maybe those Juice Plus vitamins are working!

Since the boys had napped in the car on the way to the doctor's I thought it would be a good idea to run some errands since they were awake and happy. I (finally) picked-up my wedding video that got converted to DVD in June and then we went to a brand-new Target. The Target was well-stocked and had a much better selection than the one I usually go to. However, since the layout is different, it took me about 1.5 hours to get almost everything (and then some) on my list. My boys were keeping themselves amused in the cart with all the purchases and decided that it would be a good idea to pretend to spray each other. (They really enjoy pretending to be skunks ever since Halloween when my 2 year old dressed as a skunk). The problem is that they decided to "pretend" to spray with Murphy's Oil Soap and PineSol and the PineSol got dropped from the cart and splattered all over the floor. LOVELY. I decided to skip the rest of the things on my list and get to the check-out ASAP. While at the check-out, I was trying to slyly add some Christmas gifts to the conveyor belt without the boys seeing. I was successful (I hid them under some towels) until the woman at the register says, "And I put the firetrucks RIGHT IN THIS BAG." Yes, great, thank you so much. To which my 4 year old says, "Mom! Mom! What did she say? What about a firetruck? Where? What firetruck?" THANK YOU VERY MUCH, LADY.

Next stop: one of the boys' favorite places, Jimmy John's. They are famous for their hot dogs and their electric trains. Finally, some down time for me as the boys ate hot dogs and fed quarters to the trains.

Then home to unpack the Target order and then to the bus stop to get the girls. Then some volunteer work for the library at my son's preschool and now this posting.

I feel as though I accomplished NOTHING on my To Do List today. Like the 8 loads of laundry upstairs that need folded and put away. Like grocery shopping for Thanksgiving (even though I am not hosting I am still going to make stuffing to take to my sister's). Like paying bills. Like making dinner. Like cleaning up the kitchen from breakfast. But hey, at least I got a shower today.

1 comment:

suzanneu said...

I love you, Rachel. Your Dad and I are very proud of you. You are an excellent Wife and Mom besides being a wonderful daughter!