Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Top 5

I have only been a parent for approximately 8.5 years so I still have a lot to learn and experience. However, in the short time that I have been a parent, I have discovered some things about parenting that no one tells you about and so I am sharing them with you. I started last week with #5: Pregnancy ROCKS.

This week's topic:

4. The Irony of Sex

Maybe no one told me about this or maybe I just wasn’t paying attention or maybe I just didn’t believe them. But I find it completely ironic that it is impossible to create a child without having sex (AI and IVF excluded), but once you have a child, or two, or three, or four, it is nearly impossible to create time for sex!

When I discovered that I was pregnant with our 4th child and I shared this news with my husband, the first words out of his mouth were: “Great. No sex for two more years.” In Langan-speak, that means less-than-regular sex during the year of pregnancy (I guess my husband is not good at math because everyone knows women are only pregnant for 9 months) and even less sex during the next year of me nursing a baby. In defense of my husband, our four children are each two years apart so just as we would start to settle into a somewhat more regular sex life (when the baby weaned at age 1) what do you know, I’d get pregnant again. (Which goes back to why this is so ironic!)

The other thing that I find completely ironic about sex and kids is that my periods were completely irregular during my entire childbearing years until AFTER I gave birth to my 4th child. NOW they are regular! I cannot believe that when I was TRYING to get pregnant, I wasn’t ovulating regularly and NOW that I am finished being a Human Hotel, I am ovulating every month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Human Hotel--you're hilarious!!!