Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Drama Queen & the School Nurse

The Drama Queen wasn't feeling well on Monday night. She took a nap around 6:30pm and was exhausted when bedtime rolled around at 8:00pm. She said she didn't feel well so I took her temperature, it was 103.9. So I gave her some Motrin (note: Tylenol only lasts for 4 hours, Motrin lasts for 8) and put her to bed. In the middle of the night she was shivering and her pajamas and the sheets were soaked with sweat. Apparently the fever broke. I changed her into dry jammies, put a towel down between her and the sweaty sheets and then she stopped shivering. When she woke up Tuesday morning, she said she didn't feel well. She didn't appear to have a fever but she didn't look well so I let her stay home from school.

I think I was scammed. Around 10am she was dancing around the kitchen, singing along to HSM2 (High School Musical 2). I asked her why she had so much energy and she said something about missing PE. (She prefers to wear her Crocs to school and doesn't like wearing sneakers for gym class, therefore she does not like PE). I felt her head; it felt fine. I took her temperature; normal. So I said, "OK. Get dressed. You are going to school." The drama started. The crying turned to wailing as she pleaded with me to keep her home. I set the timer, told her she had 10 minutes to get dressed or I would take her to school in her jammies. She was back downstairs in about 3 minutes and we left for school, although she was still crying.

I need to explain the absentee policy at her school. When your child is absent, you have to call the Absent Hotline and leave a message detailing: the child's name, the teacher's name and the reason for absence. Being a detail-oriented person, I left a message that said she had a fever. (I meant HAD, past-tense, as in "had last night, is still asleep so I don't know if she still has one".) BIG MISTAKE.

When we arrived at the school office and I started to explain why she was late, the Attendance Secretary said, "Didn't you say she had a fever?" So I explained that she DID but no longer DOES. She said, "Let's talk to the nurse." So we go to the Nurse's Office and explain the situation again. The nurse asks when she had a fever and I said it broke around 2am. She told me that I would have to take the Drama Queen home because she needs to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school. And then she said, "Look at her! Her face is flushed! Her eyes are glassy! She's probably still sick!" I tried to explain that she looks like that because she was screaming and crying less than 5 minutes ago at the prospect of having to go to school (she was probably really crying about having to go to gym class) but she was standing next to me, quietly, and looking very wide-eyed and innocent so I don't think they believed a word I had to say.

Needless to say, she was dancing her way to the car, thrilled that she got her way. The next time I call that darn hotline I am going to say something vague, like: she's not feeling well. That way my words won't come back to bite me.

1 comment:

Auberta said...

Keep up the good work.