Monday, September 24, 2007

The Top 5 Things No One Tells You About Parenting





After I became a parent, I noticed that I seemed almost obsessed about quizzing “seasoned” parents, asking them what surprised them most about parenting. I have come to discover that there are 5 things about parenting that no one told me about. So read on, parents-to-be to discover secrets of parenting that no one tells you about!

5. Pregnancy ROCKS
Most women complain bitterly about being pregnant: the aches, the pains, the trips to the bathroom. Yada, yada, yada. I LOVED being pregnant! I know some of you are thinking, “yeah, right”. OK. I must admit that I never had morning sickness so this might possibly contribute to my positive feelings about pregnancy. (I have 2 girls and 2 boys so for those who say that one gender makes you sicker than the other gender, I did not experience that.) But, back to being pregnant. I absolutely relished the feeling of the baby moving inside of me. I could not get enough of it. I will covet this feeling from now until the day I die. It is absolutely divine.

Secondly, pregnancy agrees with me. When I was pregnant, people (friends, family, strangers) would say things to me things like: “You are glowing! You are beautiful!” I assumed this just what people say to pregnant women. But then I looked at photos of myself and realized that I really AM more attractive when I’m pregnant! (This is not really a good thing. Basically it means that for the last 37 years and 4 months, I have been attractive for only 36 months.) See for yourself. In the first photo, I am about 2 days away from giving birth. In the second photo, I am holding a baby that is about 2 days old. In the first photo, although my face is full, it DOES sort of glow and I look alright, even though I have gained 60 pounds in a matter of months. In the second photo, my complexion is pasty, my hair is dull, my face looks fat, not full. Once those pregnancy hormones leave my body, I take on the look of Ursula from The Little Mermaid. (You know, rotund, gray, slouching, etc.)

And finally, I cannot TELL YOU how MANY people, towards the end of my pregnancies, said things like: “Oh, I bet you can’t WAIT to get that baby out. You must be SO SICK of being pregnant. Don’t worry, soon it will be over and you’ll be out of your misery.” I NEVER felt this way. I LIKED being pregnant. And once baby #1 arrived, I realized that being pregnant is a WHOLE lot easier than taking care of a new baby, sore boobs and a sore vagina. Who wouldn’t want to be pregnant as long as possible? And guess what? My first baby was 5 days late; my second was 10 days late; my third was 2 weeks late; I was induced on the due date with my fourth but that is a story for another day. All I can tell you is that even at 2 weeks overdue, I felt a whole lot better than I did for the next 6 weeks of the newborn’s life. My husband tells me that I scare women by telling them this, but I feel that SOMONE has to tell the truth on this subject!

Check back next week for #4 of Parenting Surprises.

1 comment:

The Kerpers said...

I totally agree with you, I loved being pregnant too. Elastic waistbands and guilt-free eating...the best!