Monday, September 17, 2007

4:40AM



Huh? What? This is what I said when I got woken up at 4:40AM today. My oldest daughter came into our bedroom and told my husband that our 4 year old son had wet the bed and gotten pee all over her too.

There are a couple things I need to explain. Firstly, when you look at the picture of how my children sleep, like puppy dogs all cuddled together, you can see why one person peeing in the bed could create problems for the others. Secondly, I feel compelled to mention that we have 5 bedrooms in our home and YET the children insist on not only sleeping in the same room, but also sleeping in the same bed. Thirdly, the reason my daughter woke-up my husband and not me is because he sleeps on the side of the bed that is closest to the door. This requires an explanation of its own.

My husband has asked me several times over the last few years why it is that I sleep on the side closest to the window. He argues that since I am always cold, I should not sleep there (draft in winter, window fan in summer) and I have explained that I sleep there because it is next to the table which has the alarm and since I get up earlier, I need access to the alarm. What I have failed to mention to him is that the OTHER reason I sleep there is because it is furthest away from the door and thus, when one of the kids needs something during the middle of the night, he is closer than I so it only makes sense that he should be the one to get up. I do not feel badly about this at all. I nursed each of my 4 babies for the first year of their lives and I have gotten up in the middle of the night approximately 3,000 times in the last 8 years (I am not exaggerating here, I did the math) so I figure he can field all the late-night needs of our children for the remainder of their childhood and adolescence.

Fortunately for all involved, the wet bed incident only affected 2 of the kids. My six year old slept on the top bunk last night (the bedwetter was sleeping in the bottom bunk) and my 2 year old was not in the bunk at the time of the incident because he was in our bed. (I have no idea what time he came into our bed or why.) So my husband got up to assess the situation and I looked at the clock and figured that I might as well get up and help, seeing as the alarm would be going off in another 20 minutes anyway. (Truth be told, I was planning on shutting off the alarm, skipping the gym and sleeping in.) My husband stripped the kids and the bed and I put the kids in the shower and washed them and then he got them back into their jammies and back into bed. By the time I finished putting the soaked bedsheets and jammies into the washer and letting the dog in/out (she is old and has a weak bladder and any time someone arises in the night, she looks at it as an opportunity to go outside), I did consider POSSIBLY trying to go back to bed instead of to the gym. But when I got upstairs, I discovered that my bed contained 1 husband, 3 children and 1 dog so I decided to just get dressed and head to the gym. I am sure I will be falling asleep today by 1pm, if not sooner.

Oh, by the way, we have clocked only 8 days of school so far and I already have a child home sick today! Only 172 more school days left to fend off illness. Woo-hoo.

No comments: